Keep Your Pet Safe This Valentine’s Day

Keep the romance alive this Valentine’s Day by avoiding a trip to your Lawrenceville veterinary emergency room—beware of these hazardous holiday materials!

Flowers

You may be surprised to learn that your Valentine’s Day bouquet could contain flowers that poison your pet. Lilies are highly toxic to cats, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, liver failure, and even death if left untreated. Remove lilies from any bouquets and keep them far away from your cat.

Roses may have sharp thorns that could cut your pet’s feet or even puncture the intestines if swallowed. De-thorn your roses away from your pet so there’s no risk.

Chocolate

Most pet owners know that chocolate is highly poisonous to pets. All types, including milk, semi-sweet, dark, and baker’s chocolate, can result in vomiting, diarrhea, and other severe symptoms. Store your box of chocolates where your cat or dog can’t chow down.

Candy

Candy, gum, and baked goods are sometimes sweetened with an artificial sugar known as xylitol, which can poison your pet even in small doses. Don’t leave treats sweetened with xylitol out on the counter or tabletops where pets can swipe them.

Alcohol

Planning to include alcoholic beverages in your Valentine’s Day celebrations? Keep a watchful eye on your drinks, because even small amounts of alcohol can be quite poisonous to cats and dogs. Pets respond to alcohol the same way we do—the difference is that it takes a lot less of it to do serious damage. Clean up any spills immediately, and call your Lawrenceville veterinarian if your pet does accidentally ingest alcohol.

Candles

You might not consider candles a hazardous Valentine’s Day substance, but the truth is that pets can easily swipe a paw or tail through open flames, causing burns or accidentally knocking them over. If you’re planning on lighting candles to set a romantic mood, keep your pet in another room.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

YouTube